Before we all depart for the weekend, I just wanted to wish you all a happy holiday. I also wanted to share the results of the 2016 market predictions survey I sent out a week ago. Well over 100 of you participated, and I quite enjoyed reading your thoughtful responses:
By the end of 2016, I expect the S&P 500 to be…
- 53% of you expect it to be higher than it is right now.
- 23% of you expect it to be mostly unchanged from current levels.
- 12% of you are unsure.
- 12% of you expect it to be lower than it is right now.
In 2016, I expect the top sector to be…
- 33% of you voted for Healthcare.
- 23% of you voted for Technology.
- 19% of you voted for Financials.
- 10% of you voted for Energy.
- The rest of you voted for Consumer Goods, Basic Materials and Utilities.
- None voted for Industrials or Telecommunication Services.
True or false: I see recent market pullbacks as buying opportunities.
- 71% of you voted "True."
- 24% of you were unsure.
- 5% of you voted "False.
For 2016, my biggest investing concern is:
- 33% of you were most concerned about the stronger dollar.
- 21% of you were most concerned about plunging oil prices.
- 17% of you were most concerned about the Presidential Election.
- 12% of you were most concerned about when the Fed will raise rates.
- The rest (17%) of you were most concerned about other factors, such as the slowing global economy, corporate earnings, weak manufacturing and homeland security.
To sum it up, many of you were cautiously optimistic about the stock market. I think that is a great way to look at things. Nowadays, the stock market has its fair share of pitfalls, but there are plenty of pockets of strength that shouldn’t be ignored. Through this daily blog, and my premium newsletters, my mission is to guide you around the problem areas in the market and lead you to the best profit opportunities. I look forward to another profitable year together.
For now, let’s all take a moment to forget doomsday predictions and spend some quality time with friends, family and loved ones. The U.S. markets are closing today at 1:00 EST, and I’m personally taking the long weekend to celebrate. But I’ll be back bright and early on Monday morning to update you on the latest Portfolio Grader ratings, so please be sure to check back in then.
I hope you have a happy and safe holiday!